Wednesday, September 23, 2009
The Lamplighter
There are many very obvious different expectations that society has placed upon young girls today than in the nineteenth century. With this being said I would like to focus more on the similarities that Gerty and Anna both portray. On the show, a major element that Anna stressed was balance. She seemed to use that not only in everyday life but also in her activities like yoga. This was Anna’s way to relieve stress and meditate. I believe that when Gerty was pushed out of the way by Nan Grant, she also had her way of escaping stress and meditating. “Near the top was a little sheltered recess, overhung by some long planks, and forming a miniature shed, protected by the wood on all sides but one, and from that looking out upon the water. This was Gerty’s haven of rest, her sanctum, and the only place from which she never was driven away.” This in my opinion is Gerty’s version of yoga. I believe that if Gerty had appeared on this show she might have mentioned her hiding spot as her way to keep balance in her life. I think it offered her a safe place to go not only physically but mentally. I do believe that this shows a good example of just how important it was and still is for girls not find their own place in this world where they feel comfortable and welcome. I think this aspect of young girls will always remain the same.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree very much that there are many different standards placed on girls today than in the nineteenth century. Good point that Gerty had a place of retreat where she could relieve stress and calm down. Great job!
ReplyDeleteGerty's hidding spot was a good example of how she esapes and keeps balance. I never thought of it that way. Doesn't it seem sort of sad, though, that Anna seems too grown-up? I never did anything like yoga when I was 8. I think I was still eating frosting straight from the container at the age!...and that's not very grown-up...lol.
ReplyDeleteI really like how you focused on similarities between the two girls in your blog entry. With that, I like how you said if Gerty was on the same show, she would have used her getting away time at the woodshed like Anna did yoga. Both of those methods were how the girls kept balance in their lives, although Gerty's was probably much more intense. Good job!
ReplyDelete