Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Wide, Wide World Prompt

When considering the role of “parents”, many things come to mind. In our society today the role of parents differs throughout households. Many children today don’t have parents or are left alone to be the parent to a younger sibling. In Ellen’s case this is similar. Even though Ellen had both of her parents present, neither of them seemed to take on what I consider to be a parental role. Ellen was somewhat of the backbone in the family at times. Ellen always seemed to be concerned more with her mother’s health and well-being than herself. An example of this is shown in the text when Ellen is begging her mother to let her go to the store alone to get the merino. “You are not afraid of the wind?” “I should think not,” said Ellen. This shows Ellen’s bravery and motivation to please and help her mother when she is not able. Many other examples are presented throughout the text that shows Ellen’s responsibilities taking on a more “parental” role. A major one that is mentioned several times is when Ellen continues to make tea and toast for her mother.
When reading this text little is mentioned about Mr. Montgomery. Yet, when he is mentioned, it is in a very superior way hinting towards that fact that he takes care of most of the important decisions around the house. Since he is not around much and Mrs. Montgomery is sick you want to assume that he is off at work making a living for his family. When Ellen is crying in her room upstairs she refuses to come down until her dad is gone. “I’ll not go down till papa is gone; he’ll ask me what is the matter with my eyes.” This shows that Ellen perceives her father as someone she does not want to show much emotion towards. With that being said you can assume that Mr. Montgomery is a man with little understanding. When comparing the role of the father and mother in this case, many obvious differences stand out. It seems as though Ellen is more connected with her mother on an emotional level. These roles stand out many times throughout the text when Ellen is comforted by her mother but on the same page is afraid to show any type of emotion in the presence of her father. With this being said the roles of the mother and father are easily portrayed as the father being a strong, solid, superior man while the mother is caring and humble.
I believe that Ellen perceives her parents as most children do in this time period. Even though Ellen herself takes on many of the actual “parent” roles during the day because her mother is not able, I still believe she looks to her mother as a role model like most young girls her age. Ellen thoroughly explains this when she says, “I trust every word you say entirely I know nothing could be truer; if you were to tell me black is white, mamma I should think my eyes had been mistaken.” This is one of the many times Ellen explains her feelings towards her mother. When looking at her father I don’t think she really expects anything more out of him and that him not being around is probably normal to her.

4 comments:

  1. Caroline, I definitely agree with you that Ellen has a hard time showing emotions in front of her father. Even though she is really sad about her mother's situation, she always waits till he is gone to come downstairs so he won't know that she has been crying. I feel that he is so distant and unconnected from the rest of the family. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Courtney,
    I really enjoyed reading your post and thought it was very informative and well thought out. I agree with your opinion that Ellen was the "backbone" of the family and more of the mother to her own mother than the child. I enjoyed how you approached Mr. Montgomery and agree when you say that he is "A man with little understanding." Although you say that Ellen must do most for her mother, I liked how you say she still viewed her as a role model and looked up to her.
    Great interpretation of the text!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline,
    I had never really thought about how Ellen tries to hide her feelings from her father, and so its interesting that you point that out. I think deep down she knows that he doesnt have compassion for her in this situation and he is only caring for himself. He is so unattached from the rest of the family, and I cant imagine growing up in a household like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found it very interesting how you mentioned how neither of Ellen's parents really played a parental role. I knew her father didn't really play a role as a parent but didn't really think about her mother as well. Ellen is an extremely strong little girl! You make a lot of interesting points, good job!

    ReplyDelete