There are many drastic differences between girls and boys in American literature. As we’ve seen in many of the stories we’ve previously read, girls are very predictable and proper while they boys we’ve been introduced to are adventurous and spunky. One major aspect of their differences is how the role of religion plays a part in their everyday lives. When we read the Wide, Wide World, we were introduced to Ellen a young girl in the nineteenth century who strived for a relationship with God and the knowledge of religion. When reading Ragged Dick the tables are completely turned. “Did you ever read the Bible? Asked Frank , who had some idea of neglected state of Dick’s education. No said Dick;” this quote shows that the importance of the Bible and religion had no impact on Dick’s life at all.
The representations of boys in the nineteenth century not only adds a unique element to American literature, but also the comments made about society. In my opinion, boys add a fun, edgy sense of style to literature. They are a breath of fresh air compared to the strict, straightforward little girls. I think it gives society a sense of hope and really shows them all the different opportunities that are out there for not only boys but girls too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I liked how you mentioned that little girls were seen as so predictable, you're definitely right about that. I bet you could time your watch to when Ellen made toast! And I also agree with you that stories about little boys seem to be more fun, so far at least!
ReplyDeleteI can see what you mean when you say that boys were the "fun" part in the reading because, unlike the girls, boys were allowed more freedoms and they seemed to have more fun that the little girls. Ellen...well I will just say that I was bored out of my mind with her, but Dick, even though I did not like his character much, was mischevious and made the story somewhat fun.
ReplyDelete