Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Whisper in the Dark

The concept of insanity is definitely not something we have ever seen before. It definitely fits perfect with this story but not so much when considering the nineteenth century. In all of our previous novels the reader has had either a very strong bond with their mother or not one at all. We’ve never really gotten the opportunity to have the concept of insanity connect a mother and a child the way it does in this story. I don’t believe that insanity is seen very often in the nineteenth century and that is one of the important aspects that draws you in to this story.
This really alters the reader’s reception of the story many times. At first Sybil really represents herself as a normal girl with no mental problems (besides the issues with her uncle) you can somewhat assume that she has been raised normally. After one turn of the page Sybil is in an insane asylum. With this aspect being brought into the story who wouldn’t start to have mental issues? “Child! Woman! Whatever you are, leave this accursed house while you have power to do it.” This is a quote from Sybil’s mom’s letter. After reading this you can definitely see one of the many issues that Sybil is having to deal with as a eighteen year old girl. This really shows just how the insanity in this story really actually seems to make sense and pull the whole story together. This story really struck my attention and really brought in another aspect of children's literature in the nineteenth century.

3 comments:

  1. I like how you pointed out that possible "insanity" might be the only connection that Sybil and her mother have! I hadn't thought of that, that's really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you talk about the how Sybil and her mother are connected through insanity. I agree that by introducing insanity into the story it kinda pulls it all together in a weird way. I also enjoy how you contrast Sybil appearance at the beginning of the novel to after she is sent to the mental insititution because I really enjoyed seeing how she changed, physicall and mentally. I agree that insanity fit perfectly with this staory but definitely not with the time considering most novels were about girls trying to find their place and having a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the other two about sybil and her mother being connected through insanity. It's really true because when Sybil hears the pacing on the floor above her, she begins to pace. It's like she develops a natural connection to her mother without even knowing it. I too think the insanity really draws one into the story. This story also really struck my attention. Great job!

    ReplyDelete